A LITTLE REBELLION NOW AND THEN: A Tale of Two Eras
By Scott Skipper
**I rate books with cups of coffee in place of the regular stars**
I love reading a book that captures my attention from the very beginning and never lets me go! A LITTLE REBELLION NOW AND THEN by Scott Skipper is just that type of book!
Author Scott Skipper gives us a look at the lives of his characters at a date presumed to be present day by this reviewer, or is it some date in the future? He also flashes back to their lives in the 1970s.
The flashbacks into the characters’ lives allowed me to develop a feeling of intimacy with them straight away! I felt like I had spent more than a little bit of time with them during the 70s even though there is no way that could have happened. After all, I was just a child during the 70s!
The writing is very crisp and flows beautifully! The characters are incredibly interesting and also very mysterious, which kept me totally engaged in the book!
This is the first book I’ve read by Scott Skipper, but I will be rearranging my TBR piles so that I have several more of his novels very close to the top!
I can honestly give A LITTLE REBELLION NOW AND THEN: A Tale of Two Eras by Scott Skipper a steaming hot five cups of Room With Books coffee, and I definitely recommend you run out and get your copy today!
©September 23, 2017
When a leftwing activist from the Nixon era morphs into a conservative writer of political incorrectness, can she ever escape the evil eye of the establishment? Political winds may shift but some things never change. If you pull on the dragon’s tail, you’d best be ready to take some heat. Kate is no stranger to a jail cell, but she thought she got past that four decades ago. Then again, in a world run amuck with knife brandishing jihadists spilling from their sharia zones, maybe a jail cell is the safest place to be.
Is it true that the more things change, the more they stay the same? For Kate it seems that way, but perhaps there is a new and more ominous threat, jihad. Her computer is hacked, there are mysterious voices on her phone, her condo is bugged, why would someone spy on a sweet old lady from Ohio who writes snarky novels about the government? Kate fought to get the bureaucratic monkey off her back at both ends of her life. She just can’t get on the good side of the establishment. In fact, she has a gift for drawing harassment upon herself. Her feud with the Feds spanned four decades from the sixties to the days of TSA, NSA and Homeland Security. Her persecution soars to precipitous heights. What is a grandmother to do when somebody is after her head? Well, WTF…
Scott Skipper is a California fiction writer with a broad range of interests, including history, genealogy, travel, science and current events. His wry outlook on life infects his novels with biting sarcasm. Political correctness is taboo. His work includes historical fiction, alternative history, novelized biography, science fiction and political satire. He is a voracious reader and habitual and highly opinionated reviewer.
Find out more about Scott Skipper at:
Today it is #PAYIFFORWARD day for RAVE REVIEWS BOOK CLUB, and it is my honor to present to you . . .Author, Lizzie Chantree!
Lizzie is an enthusiastic inventor, businesswoman and artist. She founded her first company at the age of 17 and has been creating products and driving my family mad ever since.
Lizzie appeared on Sky News, ITV Lunchtime News, This Morning, The Gloria Hunniford show, The Big Breakfast, BBC’s Worldwide Radio Service, amongst others for becoming one of Fair Play London’s Female Innovators for inventing Runaway Spray, a ‘ladder’ stop spray for hosiery.
Lizzie lives in Essex, with her gorgeous family and a very unusual dog. In between the school run and baking cakes (or burning them!), she sits in her rooftop studio daydreaming about gaps in the market and how she can fill them.
Lizzie Chantree has written sizzling beach read; Babe Driven, Medical intrigue novel; Love’s Child and magical romance; Finding Gina. Her latest novel is set in the school playground and is about some very unusual school mums!
Now, take a look at her books!
A contemporary romance read with a magical twist! By award winning author, Lizzie Chantree.
Can a sprinkling of stardust overcome a past full of demons?
Gina had traversed the breadth of the country in her little campervan to try and find everyone on her grandmother’s list, before her father drunk himself into an early grave. She leant down and pulled the battered and worn journal from her bag and opened it to the latest page. The neatly written names were etched onto her heart and she was determined to visit every single one and compensate them in some way. Her family’s debt had to be repaid.
Lewis read another provincial story about a ‘guardian angel’ who had been helping families across the country and his reporters nose began to itch. He was sure that if he could track down the girl they were talking about, he would unearth an even bigger story. He just had to work out how to locate her and then find out what it was that she was running from!
What readers of Finding Gina are saying:
1. ‘This is the third book I have read by Lizzie Chantree and again I was very pleasantly surprised with the quality and depth of her writing. I love a good edgy romantic ‘Chick lit’ Novel and this very much reached my expectations. The characters are portrayed in such a way that you can really envisage how they look and the environments they live in; to the point that I’d love to stay with Gina in her VW van – v envious.
The story had remained with me; which isn’t always the case with Novels of this genre.
Really worth a read – Lizzie Chantree can really compete with her contemparies (I’m a long devotee to Lisa Jewell and Freya North). I look forward to her next offering.’
2. ‘A really great romance read. This book has humour and romance and kept me guessing the whole way through. Lizzie Chantree is fast becoming my new favourite author!
The main character Gina is running from her past, but discovers her future along the way. The other characters are just as interesting and I especially loved reading about Tom, the gorgeous baker who works at the tearoom and Lewis the intrepid reporter. The tearoom’s owner, Rachel is quite mean, but even she grew on me as the story progressed. She is quite a character! This would make a great holiday read and once I picked it up, I couldn’t put the book down until I had read the last page.’
3. ‘Loved this mystical story about a girl called Gina who is trying to help people who have been hurt by her grandmother. This is a love story, but it’s also about someone coming to terms with their past. Gina misses her mum and her dad is a drunk, who meddles with her life until she is forced to move out. The story hints at magical abilities and leaves you wanting to read a sequel to find out how Gina develops her newfound skills. The men in the book are pretty gorgeous and the writing is humorous and entertaining. I really enjoyed this sweet book and would recommend it to friends.’
An award-winning romantic mystery novel by author Lizzie Chantree.
Friendship, loyalty and deadly secrets.
Jemima Trent is desperate to have a designer baby to keep up with her socialite friends, reconnect with her work-obsessed husband, Lucas, and regain some respect from her domineering father.
Something curious is happening and the number of women able to conceive each year is in decline, but no one seems to know why. Dr Cole believes that the answer can be found in a warehouse full of delinquent teenagers, where David Love and his pregnant girlfriend, Tilly, have been hitting the headlines for turning youngsters’ lives around. Dr Cole’s violent and callous employer will stop at nothing to discover the reason behind their success and why girls at the warehouse are able to fall pregnant.
Jemima finally tries to step out of her father’s shadow, but discovers they are more alike than she could ever imagine. David and Tilly vow to keep their secret, but have the lessons of the past been learnt and is the world ready for the truth?
Lies, deceit and betrayal, all in the name of love!
What readers are saying about Love’s Child:
1. ‘A fabulous book with twists and turns with a little romance and plenty of feisty characters. From the super rich all the way down to the deprived areas of town Lizzie has brought all these characters together in book full of suspense and intrigue.
I can heartily recommend this as a good read.’
2. ‘I loved the story about the warehouse full of rebellious children and the people who helped them. It is also a love story and what a parent will do to protect their child and so much more including the relationships between husband, wife, father and daughter. A must read!!’
3. ‘Loved the book! Lots of fiery, and glamorous characters, but there are some who are dealing with deeper issues. A book packed full of suspense. A riveting ending that made me want to keep reading. It’s a romance novel, and it is about relationships, but it’s also about the love a parent has for their child. Highly recommended.’
4. ‘Always on the look out for a great read and this book had me hooked from start to finish. Would definitely recommend.’
5. ‘What a fantastic read. Loved every page of this book. Very talented writer. Can’t wait to read the next book!!!!!!’
Driving straight out of trouble and into paradise! A laugh out loud, contemporary romance read full of humour and exotic locations.
Harriet’s crazily successful business idea is under serious threat, and the danger seems to be coming from inside her own family. She whisks her sister and her friends away to an exotic location to try and work out whose side they are on. It’s time to start damage limitation.
When the girls arrive at the glorious villa owned by Harriet’s maverick business partner Nikki, they find a gorgeous band and their sexy lead singer Max staying next door, out to entice their new neighbours into all kinds of trouble.
This isn’t a holiday for Harriet and she can’t afford to be distracted. She has to sell her business idea to the powerful resort owner, the elusive Mr Grant, while she is there, or she may not have a business to go back to. Harriet will have to choose between family and friends, business or pleasure. For someone who stays out of the limelight, even though her new company is the hottest ticket in town, she’s going to have to avoid the front pages of every newspaper if she wants to survive the ride!
What reviewers are saying about Babe Driven:
1. ‘A great read! The story gripped me from the start and I couldn’t put the book down. The plot was intriguing as the relationships develop and some people aren’t who they appear to be! A great holiday read or indeed curled up cosy in front of the fire! ‘
2. ‘A real hoot all the way through and very entertaining. Love the authors style of writing and the characters she creates, read it over two days and would have read another one. Really rather good!’
3. ‘Light, entertaining fun read which would make the perfect companion on a summer holiday. I liked the characters, and thought the plot was quite original, hoping to see more from the author in the near future.’
4. ‘This was a fun light read. There is romance involved but it’s more than that. It’s mostly the story of a strong independent businesswoman who’s trying to save her business. She happens to be beautiful, and so everyone underestimates her. I really like this character and enjoyed the plot. You keep getting little surprises along the way that keep you guessing. I would call this a great book when you want to be distracted from all of the real worries you have in life. I’m a sucker for happy endings, so this book left me with a big smile! ‘
ONE DYKE COZY
by Rhani D’Chae
People come into our lives for a day, a season, or a reason…
“Shy taught me to fight like a champion, love like a poet, & live like it was my last day on earth.”
One Dyke Cozy touches on the lives of two girls, Gabby and Shy, from their first meeting as children to Shy’s untimely death.
This novel contains profanity and adult situations.
I purchased a copy of One Dyke Cozy by Rhani D’Chae for the purpose of an honest review and it was a pleasure to read.
One Dyke Cozy is a wonderful story that is a mixture of coming of age and building lasting relationships and was beautifully written!
Rhani’s characters are very well written and easy to relate to. They have depth and emotion that is felt throughout the book! From the moment Gabby and Shy meet until the moment they part is a lesson on how to build a lasting friendship, loyalty, and how to love someone completely and without judgement!
Rhani D’Chae has a gift with the written word and she has shared it with us once again in writing One Dyke Cozy!
I give One Dyke Cozy by Rhani D’ Chae five cups of steaming hot Room With Books coffee and I highly recommend you read it!
©May 29, 2017
#RRBC SPRINGTIME BOOK & BLOG BLOCK PARTY
Hello and WELCOME to Day 13 of
RAVE REVIEWS BOOK CLUB’S SPRINGTIME BOOK & BLOG BLOCK PARTY
Location: Wyoming, USA
# of Winners for this stop: 5
Here is what I am giving away today:
(1) – $20 Amazon gift card
(2) – $10 Amazon gift cards
(2) – $5 Amazon gift cards
Please leave a comment below to be entered in the drawing to win one of these prizes!
What a glorious spring day it is here! The weather is wonderfully warm. My flowers are starting to bloom. And even the little birds are starting to rebuild their nest outside my living room window! This might be my favorite time of year!
I enjoy blogging and reviewing books. I also edit and publish books. Late this year I will add author to the list of things I do!
I want to share the back-cover blurb of my book with you.
It was difficult, and very sad, to see my life laid out on paper. The timeline covered the front and back of a 36″ x 24″ poster board and wound around it like a steep mountain switchback.
The memories brought back by black lines on paper . . .
He dragged me down the stairs by my hair. I remember giving up. I was so tired, physically and emotionally. The fight had gone out of me. I’m certain if one had looked into my eyes they were empty. I was already gone.
He dragged me to a standing position, which I could barely hold in my weakness. Peering into his eyes I saw evil. I saw death. My own. My daughter’s.
“Remember, no matter what happens,” he leaned down, whispering in my ear, “no matter what happen, remember how much I’ve loved you!”
I stood there stunned. He loved me? He loved me? How could this be called love!
That moment was a turning point for me and I’ve been crying out to tell my story ever since. I hope you’ll join me when I release “Where the Heart Grows” later this year!
Reviews by Room With Books.
I would like to introduce you to Gwen Plano, today’s #RRBC #PushTuesday winner!
Gwen is a woman of many talents including active #RRBC member. She hosts BEHIND THE PEN BlogTalkRadio Show and co-hosts the ASPIRE TO INSPIRE BlogTalkRadio Show, both for RRBC‘s Rave Waves Blog Radio.Gwen is also a LIFETIME MEMBER of #RRBC, which is an honor shared by a select few of the membership.
Gwen is a member of #RWISA. #RWISA was founded for the sole purpose of introducing the literary world to some of the top INDIE Authors! These writers are consummate Professionals, dedicated, committed and driven to continually excel at producing the best written works possible.
Gwen grew up in Southern California and spent most of her professional life in higher education. She taught and served as an administrator in colleges in Japan, New York, Connecticut, and California. Gwen’s academic background is in theology and counseling. She now lives in the Midwest with her husband.
As a college administrator, Gwen lived her professional life in a highly visible and accountable space–but as a wife and mother, behind closed doors, she and her family experienced the terror of domestic violence and abuse. The statistics are staggering–every 9 seconds in the United States, a woman is assaulted or beaten–but to Gwen, this was her secret; it was her shame. When her husband eventually turned his brutality on her son, she knew she could no longer stay quiet.
In Letting Go into Perfect Love: Discovering the Extraordinary After Abuse, Gwen bravely recounts a violent marriage that lasted twenty-five-years–and the faith that opened her heart to hope, to trust, and to awe again. As a survivor who came out of the relationship determined to start new, Gwen artfully depicts the challenges and triumphs of balancing the obligations of motherhood and career with her family’s healing process.
Alternately heart-wrenching and joyful, Letting Go into Perfect Love is a powerful story of triumph over adversity–one woman’s inspiring account of learning how to forgive the unforgiveable, recover her sense of self, open her heart, and honor the journey home.
Visit Gwen at gwenplano.com
On Facebook at https://facebook.com/GwendolynMPlano
Or on Twitter at @gmplano.